It’s never too early to arrange a comprehensive session for parents alone, or for the student and parents together. Our personalized college counseling for families with middle school students uses a proactive and positive approach to help you understand that the decisions you make now will greatly influence the course of the high school years and later in college. This approach reduces stress and frees precious family time and resources by taking the steps that truly count now.
Middle school classes set the foundation for high school coursework and the high school academic record is the heart of the college application. Each year national surveys of colleges and universities demonstrate that the quality of high school coursework and pattern of grades remain among the most important factors in college success.
Families that start early can capitalize on opportunities to help their child make the most of the middle school experience, and learn how choices made now affect how colleges view you later.
A working session is arranged with families to identify appropriate middle school courses and create a tentative college preparatory 4-year plan in high school. The meeting also helps to identify fun and meaningful activities for the school years and summer months.
All sessions are currently held online.
At the Middle School Working Session, families:
- Discuss needs, concerns, and questions of student and parents
- Review academic and social history; discuss academic goals and family priorities
- Review middle school classes that prepare the student for college preparatory coursework in high school; suggest enrichment, if needed
- Review high school coursework recommended for selective college admissions
- Design a 4-year high school plan (best suited for 7th and 8th grade students)
- Discuss extracurricular activities; learn how to deepen and document involvement
- Develop a positive and proactive plan for students with special needs and talents
- Review the basics of financial planning for college (expanded session available for parents only)
Additional sessions are available to families with children who have special needs and who seek expanded guidance in making the transition from middle school to high school.
“Elizabeth, the information you provided at last evening’s session was very helpful. You have provided us with a roadmap for high school, and for that we thank you! We will keep in touch for advice as our child progresses through her high school years.”
Middle School Session for 8th Grader
“Three years ago, we started looking for a College Advisor before our oldest child graduated from eighth grade. We just wanted someone to tell us ‘how it works.’ In Elizabeth, we found a college expert who genuinely cares about the success and well-being of our daughter.
Initially, Elizabeth met with the three of us to explain college entrance requirements and what to strive for over the high school years, in order to maximize our daughter’s college opportunities. Our daughter has some special needs and after each semester Elizabeth was available to help her decide which classes to take, what activities to keep or quit, and how to make truly informed decisions. Elizabeth went on to work with our family until our daughter was admitted to her first choice school, Arizona State University, Honors College, with a nice scholarship!”
Judy and Tony Sarsam
ASU Barrett Honors College